Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Yet another reason why I didn't do it.

The past weekend proved to be a bit of an endurance run for myself as there were thrills, chills and spills and all acts of lunacy in between. Saturday night into Sunday morning had me feeling really tight, achy, hungover, etc. So I chose to spend the day resting on the couch and in bed and making sure I maintained proper fluid intake throughout. Having caught up a bit on domestic duties I figured, "what the fuck" since it had been a long time since I had one of those days to just veg out.

The Oscars had been a topic for discussion earlier in the week for various reasons. Who was going to win what award and would Jon Stewart be a good host were all things up for grabs as we approached the awards show. I try not to read too much into what a lot of media heads predict will happen because ultimately most of these people make me ill.

This year in particular, with the amount of time I spent focusing on OTHER things life presented, I found myself less interested Hollywood films and in the awards show. But with that said, of course I would still react to circumstances which I feel are plain wrong. One of these instances is the award that went to Three 6 Mafia. But don't get me wrong, it's not (entirely) because I can't stand rap. It's more because of the quality work that has been put forth in the past decade that leaves me scratchin' my head and wondering, "why the fuck haven't they thought of this category before???"

You see, being from New York I absolutely adore Hip-hop, the DJ, emcees and groups that use these ingredients to the fullest. Most modern day rap you hear on radio stations and see videos for on MTV are just rap that amounts to crap. Or like the RZA's definition of R&B = Rap and Bullshit!

So speaking of the RZA, here is a hip-hop artist who by leaps and bounds ahead of Three 6 Mafia deserves recognition for his work for movie soundtracks and scores. No, I'm not afraid to say it loud and proud. And if you do not believe me watch Kill Bill Volumes I and II as well as Ghostdog: The Way of the Samursai. Awesome flicks with some awesome writing and awesome musical content!

SYS

Clear