Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Things that make me go - "Hmm?"

"I leap over lies in a single bound
who are you? the black prophet
one day i was struck by knowledge itself
it gave me super-scientifical powers
now i run through the ghetto
battling my arch nemesis Mr. Ignorance
he's been trying to take me out
since the days of my youth
he fears the day will come
i'm hot on his trail
but sometimes he has an army
they always bug me
and give me trouble
mainly Hatred, Jealousy and Envy
they attack me
they think they got me
but i used my super science
and i twist off three
i see sparks over that building
they're shooting at me
so i dip, do a back flip
and hit 'em in the heart
with sharp steel bookmarks
Ignorance hates when i drop it
but no matter what he do...
he can't stop the prophet!"

-The Prophet, Jeru The Damaja.


Those who dig old-school hip-hop already know the name Jeru the Damanja, but in case you don't. Go right now and pick up the LP "The Sun Rises in the East." The album IS that good!

This first verse from [The Prophet] above was pretty much a theme for the day. Being the time of year it is there is a lot of hussle and bussle going on even out here in Lincoln, NE. In general, since I have arrived things have felt a gear or two slower than what I am used to in New York. But it's picking up speed as I see people (despite the snow) driving a little quicker and walking a bit brisker. When I'm downtown, seeing people walk the street reminds me of the lower east side of Manhatten a smidge. Of course, the city's silhouette is different from Manhatten's but the feeling is definitely familiar. When I am back in SW Lincoln, the scene basically reminds me of Long Island but with less traffic. One of the things I was stressing about was whether or not Christmas out here would be white. No worries there! LOL

Not sure if others encounter this (actually, I'm sure others do, but had to say it anyway) so here goes. Now I thought that the Midwest was "the" capitol for proper manners and what not. The people out here are very considerate and approachable, don't get me wrong. But I have noticed now on several ocassions that people do not respond to "bless you" after they sneeze. Let me tell you why this annoys me.

First, not to get off on a tangent, I am not a religious person with regards to my own personal beliefs of life, the universe, etc. Mainly because I feel anyone who relies on religion to teach people morals are basically more than a little naive. I do find the theological aspect of religion as a subject for discussion and critique truly fascinating. But that is another subject. I look at the practice of saying, "bless you" after someone sneezing as an act of proper manners en lieu of an act of religious signifigance. True, saying "bless you" has been something that my Mother and father have reinforced in me throughout my life to the point that it is almost like a reflex. Someone sneezes, I say, "bless you." Simple. But it really rubs me the wrong way when someone doesn't acknowledge the fact that I said, "bless you" - the fact that I was considerate enough to say it, I guess.

If they are not religious people or do not believe in God I can see how saying something like, "God bless you" might be a tad insulting. This is why I say simply, "bless you" so I do not put anybody off. But you would think that even if someone had contrary beliefs that a comment like "bless you" would elicit a "thank you," no? Maybe it's because I am getting older and crabbier that I am becoming overly sensitive to these social faux pas because that's what I consider them. If someone sneezes and I say, "bless you" and they do not respond with either "thank you" or "thanks" I do start to wonder what kind of household they were raised in. I know this might not be the correct conclusion for me to consider, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit it.

So I leave you all with this question:

Is saying to a person "bless you" after they sneeze out of style?

I truly am curious. Oh, by the way, did you know its cold right now in the Midwest! LOL

SYS

Clear