Thursday, December 08, 2005

Every now and then we need a reminder...

...of just how precious and short life really is!

Tonight was a usual Wednesday night. Stopped in at Homer's in the afternoon to see Chuckles and the rest of the crew and talk music. Chuckles of course is a resident DJ Wednesday nights down at Bricktop so I like to go down there to support him, shoot some pool (if you can call it that, LOL) and chatterbox. The night was still brutally cold as has been the trend since turkey day. So as people come on in throughout the night everyone is extra happy to see everyone else I guess because we are all happy that we made it there alive, in one piece and not frozen.

I was chilling with Chuckles in the booth when I saw some friends come on up to the stage. I like it when I run into people that I know and have had a good time with PLUS I like for people to come out and support Chuckles because he is an excellent house DJ whose creativity often gets overlooked on slower nights. Either way I was happy to see the fellas. I took time out from the DJ booth to sit down with them and catch up on the week and whatnot. I noticed one friend was not in a particularly chatty mood. It was made more obvious because normally when he is chatty he is an utter pisser! But he was rather quiet and out of it in general.

On a side note, I have no idea how smokers "stay" smokers in the winter (or any other time a year for that matter) when they have to go outside in the cold to smoke. They must really freeze their asses off and for what, nicotine(?). But as far as I am concerned, let 'em freeze! They'll learn eventually, either the easy way (sans chemo) or the hard way (with chemo). I know this statement may cut like a knife but I have deep rooted feelings on the subject that seem to come to the surface rather often having lost my own Mother to cancer. I'll be the first to admit that while smokers can be very intelligent people, in the long run they are not too bright.

Getting back to my buddy, he went out for a cigarette and that left me with the other guys chilling out. They took the opportunity to tell me that a girl who my buddy had been in an on again/off again relationship with just died on Monday. Needless to say I was a bit stunned. Not much in the way of details was known other than that she was 22 years old and simply went to take a nap and never woke. One had said that the death may have been as a result of some coronary problem. Regardless, I felt bad not only to hear that a person so young passed away, but for my friend as well because he really cared for her!

I apologize for the downward turn this post has taken but there is a positive message. This story should be a remninder to us all that life is precious and often times way too short. We should all enjoy ourselves and the company of the ones we care about each and every day. If you have someone (family member or friend) who you care about and you haven't been in contact with for a stretch, look 'em up and give them a call. Not only will they feel better but you will feel better too. And its the coolest thing to know that you were able to reach out to that special person!

SYS

Clear