Friday, December 31, 2004

Tsunamis

Now that I am over my initial "stunned" reaction I can attempt to say something halfway intelligent regarding this disaster. I first heard about the tsunami disaster while at a foosball tournament. I picked my head up to gaze at the big screen TV which was running CNN. The footage just blew me away. I could not imagine being in my home when the water started coming in and there was absolutely nothing to do but flee. Whole homes swept away in the matter of minutes. It stunned everyone I was with too.

First off let me start by offering my heartfelt condolences to the families of those who were killed by the tsunamis. I would also offer a speedy recover to those who were injured and hope they can make it home soon. Like I said, I have no idea what these people are going through physically and emotionally. I know we have had our share of natural disasters in the U.S. with hurricanes, forest fires, tornados, etc. But something like this puts everything into perspective.

I was glad to hear that the governments were going to invest in the early warning system (taken from CNN.com). Part of me wonders why something like this wasn't invested in sooner seeing that many of the areas hit were well known tourist/vacation destinations. Local economies in these areas must depend heavily on revenues generated from tourism. After this happening I can see the tourism for these areas dropping tremendously, which will further hurt any already wounded economy. Despite the tsunamis there will be rough waters ahead for the countries most affected.

This just shows you how volatile the earth really is. This also has sent a certain message home for me personally. No matter how careful you are or prepared the rug can still be jerked out from underneath you. The main point to remember is how you respond to adversity and what actions you take to right yourself. I hope the governments and agencies involved can take the proper steps to help this situation. I hope relief funds can be raised to sufficiently help the families most affected by this tragedy, my heart going out to them the most.

SYS

Clear